Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My, Myself, and I

How many times are college students asked to write about who they are or to bring in an object that represents them? I typically receive these types of prompts at least twice a semester, making it about 10 times total. However, I never write the same thing and I never bring in the same object. Maybe the change defines who I am more than the individual papers or objects. I am a different person depending on whether I am happy, sad, lonely, or excited, and also whether I am alone, with friends, or with family. When I’m in a good mood I might write about how I am a dedicated, enthusiastic, competitive person who loves to be with her friends and family. But if I were having a bad day I might write about how I have to be an independent and introverted person who would rather be by herself. Not to say that I am moody (I might be), I’m just a little bit of it all, and different moods bring some traits out more than others.

Currently I am an optimistic hard working person who relies on her family for support while trying to handle the ups and downs of life, like the responsible adult I am supposed to be. This isn't to say that I’m not changing every day. Every discussion and encounter changes who I am. I’m sure that as I go through this class, write in this blog, and explore the psychology and sociology of identity I will learn more about myself and inevitably change from who I am today to who I will be tomorrow.

Why do you care who I am, and why are you reading this? The whole purpose of this blog is to fulfill a requirement for my English class. I am hoping that my writing here along with all my other assignments for the class will improve my writing and critical thinking skills, both of which are lacking. This is where you come in. You can pose questions and comments to make me think and to help with my writing. What should I do differently, what have I not thought of? And I might just provide something for you to think about – something new and throught provoking.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice introduction, Heather. It's interesting, too. I agree. I never describe who I am the same way twice it seems either. Some of that has to do with mood, as you say, and if I'm alone or in a group or a diad, etc. Some also has to do with what kind of class it is. I describe myself and my work differently to people in psychology than I do to people in English. I also share different aspects of my 'self' depending on who I am addressing. I wonder if you have changed or if you have more than one 'self.'

    ReplyDelete